So, being at Petco I always have something crazy happen to me basically everyday that I work. It might be a crazy customer who tried to make a Petco receipt themselves and is trying to return a bunch of stolen merchandise and get cash back, or someone who has abandoned their hamster in one of our carts for us to find, or someone actually recruiting me to go crawl under their house and rescue 5 kittens that are only 6 days old. Well today....a lady brought in the sweetest looking puppy, probably about 4 weeks old. She had a ton of questions on what to feed it, and how to care for it. She then went on to tell me that the puppy was given to her from some 16 year old kid who was standing out in front of a store. His story was that he found the puppy on the side of the road and the mother of the puppy was actually dead (who knows if that's true or not). The lady agreed to take the puppy from him because she knew that he probably wouldn't be able to care for the puppy properly. The dog looked like some sort of a lab mix He was chocolate brown with tan paws and a white stripe above his noes. He was covered in fleas, and had very pale gums (from being dehydrated) and looked thin but not emaciated. I showed her where the puppy goats milk was, gave her some advice on where she should take him, and what organizations are the best and she left. Well about 2 hours later she was back, with the puppy in a blanket and vomit all over her. She was crying and just all around very upset. She told me that she had tried to bottle feed the puppy (it is now around 8pm) and he barely took any of it, and basically vomited it all up and than some. She had no idea what she should do, well the animal lover that I am agreed to take the puppy from her and figure something out. I just didn't want him to get dropped off at the humane society down here, because it just isn't the best place for a dog to be. So I immediately called the animal ER and told them about him, and how I think he probably needs medical attention. I next called Tony (who was in bed and ready to go to sleep) and had him drive 30 min to my work and pick up the puppy to take to the ER. Tony was not happy, but once he saw the puppy's face...he just couldn't be mad anymore. Tony ended up dropping him off and they took the puppy's blood to test for DHP and different things, and than they sent him off with an animal control officer. So now I'm in the process of trying to be the foster home for this poor little puppy. So...that's my animal rescue story. I don't know why but I guess a lot of people just assume they can bring their problems to Petco and we'll fix it. Sometimes we do, but some of it is just too crazy and we have to send them somewhere else. I'm just glad the puppy is okay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

you're going to have a zoo of dogs that you rescue ha that would be cool if you could foster it, i know you'd do a great job =]
ReplyDelete